Remember it pays in every way to Think Big!
I want to talk about 5 ways to help your self talk about yourself and how thinking big can change your life by implementing these 5 points:
1) don’t sell yourself short
2) use the big thinkers vocabulary
3) stretch your vision. See what can be not just what is.
4) get the big view of your job.
5) think above trivial things.
Most people define the word SUCCESS as synonymous with security. Can we risk turning our country over to people like that?
Why do people try to play it safe in everything they do?
Is it because they may fail?
The only way to move forward in what you do is to fail over and over but all along the way you learn what you could have done better.
How big we think determines the size of our accomplishments.
Ever ask yourself, “What is my greatest weakness?” Probably the greatest weakness is self-deprecation. That is selling oneself short.
How we overcome this
1) determine your five chief assets. Invite someone to help you someone close like a good friend or wife or at least someone intelligent.
Examples of assets, education, technical skills, appearance, great home life, good attitude, personality, go getter.
2) next under each asset write the names of 3 people you know who have achieved large success but who do not have this asset to as great a degree as you.
When you’ve completed this exercise you will find you outrank many successful people on at least one asset.
There is only one conclusion you can honestly reach: your bigger than you think. So fit your thinking to your true size. Think as big as you really are. Never never never sell yourself short.
2) Here are four ways to help you develop a big thinkers vocabulary
1) use big, positive cheerful words and phrases to describe how you feel. When someone asks you “How do you feel today?” And you respond with ” I’m tired” or I have a headache, I wish it was Saturday, I don’t feel so good. You actually feel worse.
Practice this: it’s a very simple point, but has tremendous power. Overtime someone asks you how are you? Or how are you feeling today? Respond with FANTASTIC!! JUST WONDERFUL! Great!
At every opportunity that you say how you feel in a positive way you will begin to feel wonderful and bigger too.
2) Use bright, cheerful, favorable words and phrases to describe other people. Make it a rule to have big positive word for all your friends and associates.
When you and someone are discussing an absent third party, be sure you compliment him with big words and phrases like “He is always reliable” or “She always does a good job and is always on time”.
Be careful to avoid the petty cut him down language. Gossip always comes back to bite you.
3) use positive language to encourage others. Compliment people personally at every chance. Everyone craves praise.
Praise sincerely given is a success tool.
4) use positive words to outline plans to others. When people hear something like this: “here is some good news” or “we face an exciting opportunity…..” Their minds start to sparkle.
But when people hear something like “we have a job to do whether we like it or not”. The mind movie is dull and boring, and they react accordingly.
Promise victory and watch eyes light up. Promise victory and win support. Build castles, don’t dig graves.
3) Stretch your vision. See what can be not just what is.
Big thinkers train themselves to see not just what is but what can be.
Look at thins not as they are, but as they can be. Visualization adds value to everything. A big thinker always visualizes what can be done in the future. He isn’t stuck in the present.
Here is an example of a guy just seeing what’s in front of him and a guy that has long term vision because he thinks differently.
A few years ago young milkman came to the door to solicit out dairy business. Explain to him that we already had milk delivery service and we were quite satisfied. Then I suggested to stop next-door and talk to the lady there.
To this he replied I’ve arty talked to the lady next-door but they only use 1 quart of milk every two days and that’s not enough to make a stop worthwhile.
That may be I said but when you talk to her neighbor did you not observe that the demand for milk in that household will increase considerably in a month or so?
There will be a new addition over there that will consume lots of milk.
The young man look for a moment like he had been struck and then he said how blind can a guy be?
Today that same 1 quart every two days family by 7 quarts every two days from a milkman who had some foresight. That first youngster a boy now has two brothers and one sister. And I’m told there’ll be another young one soon.
How blind can we be? See what candy not just what is.
That first salesman didn’t have any long-term vision the second salesman seen the long-term vision coming and capitalized on it.
Here is how you can develop the power to see what can be not just what is. I call these practicing adding value exercises
1) Practice adding value to things ask yourself what can I do to add value to this room for this house or this business? Look for ideas to make things Worth more.
2) Practice adding value to people. As you move higher and higher in the world of success more and more of your job becomes people development. Ask what can I do to add value to my subordinates? What can I do to help them become more effective?
3) Practice adding value to yourself. Conduct a daily interview with yourself. What can I do to make myself more valuable today?
Visualize yourself not as you are but as you can be. Then specific ways for taming your potential value will suggest themselves. Just try and see.
4) get the big view of your job.
Big thinkers see themselves as members of a team effort as winning or losing with the team not by themselves.
They help in every way they can even when there is no direct and immediate compensation or other reward.
The fellow who shrugs off a problem outside of his own department with the comment “Well that’s no concern of mine let them worry about it”
that guy hasn’t got an attitude what it takes for top leadership!
When you make the company business, your business that’s when you will get promoted.
5) Think about trivial things. Focus your attention on big objectives. Before getting involved in a petty matter ask yourself is this really important?
Here’s an example of the little story about John the guy that got the smallest office and fizzled out.
Several years ago I observed small thinking about an office assignment destroy a young fellow’s chances for profitable career in advertising.
For young executives all on the same status level removed into new offices. Three offices were identical in size and decoration. The fourth was smaller and less elaborate.
John was assigned Fourth office. This turned out to be a real blow to his pride. Immediately he felt discriminated against. Negative thinking resentment bitterness jealousy built up. John began to feel inadequate. The result was that John grew hostile toward his fellow executives. Rather than cooperate he did his best to undermine their efforts. Things got worse. Three months later John slips so badly management had no choice to issue in the pink slip.
Small thinking over a very small matter stopped John.
In his haste to feel he was discriminated against John failed to observe that the company was expanding rapidly and office space was at a premium. He didn’t stop to consider the possibility that the executive who made the office assignments didn’t even know which one was the smallest. No one in the organization except John regarded his office as an index of his value.
Small thinking about unimportant things like seeing your name last on the department route sheet or getting the fourth carbon of an office memo can hurt you. Think big and none of these little things can hold you back.
Ask what’s really important
Grow by thinking big!!